Full-time and part-time positions available:
Director of Finance and Administration
WT has an immediate opening for a Director of Finance and Administration (DFA). Reporting to WT’s Executive Director (ED), in collaboration with the Artistic Director and Board of Directors, the DFA is a key member of WT’s leadership team. The successful candidate will oversee and manage a small finance team and develop and execute the financial strategy and practice of the organization, as well as administration and human resources, and work closely with the board committees to ensure financial integrity, oversight and best practices.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting (including cash flows) used by the staff and board, and act as the strategic financial leader developing reporting for regular decision making at the staff and board level.
- Manage financial controls and accounting procedures in order to promote operational efficiency and prevent waste.
- Executive payroll for staff and artists and related reporting functions.
- Working with the ED, ensure transparency over the financial performance of the company.
- Serving as a member of the senior staff, assist in short term and long range and strategic planning initiatives, participate in decisions to align resources with mission, institutional goals and values, and lead (with ED) long range budget planning and development.
- Work both independently and with Department Heads to address programming needs and planning for future seasons.
- Principal staff liaison to the finance and investment committees of the Board of Directors. Attend board and executive committee meetings of the Board of Directors and make written and oral presentations regarding budget, financial operations, audit and investments, etc. as required.
- Maintain speed and accuracy of accounts payable and receivable functions.
- Coordinate and produce all tax documentation as required, including IRS 990 documentation.
- Oversee annual audits.
- Partner with ED on annual performance evaluation and salary review process.
- Partner with ED to administer and oversee the HR policies of WT for staff and artists.
- Oversee review and funding of medical/dental plan, long term disability insurance, workers compensation insurance, retirement plans; monitor claim experience; analyze and report expenses for all plans; ensures compliance with DOL and IRS; and manage all employment records.
- Design and implement strategies, including ongoing education and training programs, to build the capacity of staff to work effectively, respectfully and equitably.
- Work with General Manager and ED to supervise employee recruitment, staff orientation, and staff development, update employee handbooks, code of conduct and conflict of interest policies.
WORK EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Five years of experience as a Director of Finance or equivalent.
- Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Proven experience in budgeting, strategic forecasting, planning and analysis to support decision making, and in overseeing financial, accounting, compliance, and risk management of a complex organization.
- Performing Arts and/or Non-profit finance experience and experience working with a Board of Directors is desirable although candidates with equivalent experience in other settings (including for-profit) are encouraged to apply.
- Passion for theater is imperative.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft software, especially Excel, required. Experience with MIP accounting software and Paylocity a plus.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
WT is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion and equity, as well as promoting a safe, supportive and collaborative work environment. Successful candidate will share these values.
Competitive salary and benefits including medical, dental and disability insurance, vacation and other paid leave, a 403(b)-retirement plan (with employer match) and medical and dependent care cafeteria plans.
Writers Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in our hiring process, as well as in all areas of our work. BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. WT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Application materials including a cover letter, resume and any salary requirements should be sent electronically – Microsoft Word or .pdf only, please – with the applicant’s name included as part of each file name to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.