Working at Writers Theatre: Our Code of Conduct
Writers Theatre is committed to providing a generous and equitable work environment for everyone involved in bringing its mission to life. We make this commitment to you as a member of our Writers Theatre team, and we expect you to support that commitment through your actions, too. To that end, we have created the following Code of Conduct as a complement to the WT Personnel Handbook to provide you with guidelines on behaviors and processes.
We work as a team.
- We believe that everyone’s ideas have value.
- We set goals as a team.
- We take calculated risks as a team to achieve our goals.
- We have open and frank discussions with our colleagues.
- We make room for people to respectfully disagree without fear of reprisal.
- We ask for help when needed and step up to give help when requested.
- We continually look for ways we can do better.
- We come together when one of us struggles or makes a mistake, then learn and strengthen the organization.
- We are considerate in the management of our time.
- We respond in a timely manner to the needs and requests of others.
- We make time in our communications with colleagues to be fully present to each other.
- We keep our tone businesslike and friendly.
- We assume the best intentions in others.
We set clear expectations.
- We set realistic expectations and procedures for any task.
- We keep our meetings organized, focused and productive.
- We make sure everyone knows the purpose of a meeting, and what they need to do to prepare.
- We ask questions and look for clarification when necessary, including into the objective behind any assignment.
- We share clear job responsibilities and roles, and systems for accountability.
We acknowledge we’re all different.
- We acknowledge and respect that we all have different perspectives and beliefs.
- We take those perspectives into account, both in casual conversation and while collaborating.
- We embrace each other’s unique work styles, decision-making processes, and personal strengths.
We are transparent.
- We communicate openly and transparently within each department, between departments, and interpersonally.
- We acknowledge when confidentiality makes complete transparency impossible, in which case we are transparent about why.
- We engage our colleagues in decision-making at all levels, whenever possible.
- We strive to communicate clearly (and to all interested parties) when a decision has been made.
We maintain a healthy work/life balance.
- We, both as an institution and as individuals, prioritize the well-being of our colleagues by thinking about how our decisions affect a healthy work/live balance for all employees.
- We each practice self-care, including taking time away from work to be with our families and loved ones.
- We hold each other accountable for doing the same.
We commit to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- We affirm our identity as an anti-racist institution.
- We believe we have a responsibility to help dismantle all forms of systemic oppression.
- We make artistic, administrative, and interpersonal decisions that are firmly rooted in EDI (Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) best practices.
We serve WT’s mission.
- We make sure that everyone working at WT feels connected to the art we make.
- We appreciate and engage with the work that all departments and individuals contribute to the organization.
- We celebrate the ways our own work contributes to the organization and its mission.
We serve each other.
- We treat each other with kindness.
- We share goals and ideals across the entire organization.
- We make time and space for the entire organization to celebrate our hard work, accomplishments, and milestones.
- We take time to get to know each other as individuals, both in our own departments and across the organization.
To download a PDF of our Code of Conduct, please click here.